Thursday, August 16, 2018

July Wipocalypse

Whoops - I seem to have missed a couple of months there. Nevermind - I do at least have semi-good excuses. The last half of May and the first half of June I was doing an online course in Software Testing - trying to see what a new career might look like :) - although now my fixed term contract has been turned into a permanent job, so I may not have to worry about career changes for a bit. Then the rest of June I was madly scrambling to get myself sorted for July - finishing off my notes for the project I was leading for Cyberpointers, sorting out our trip down country for my Grandmothers 90th birthday, and sorting out my trip to the biannual ANZEG conference (Association of New Zealand Embroidery Guilds). So not much stitching in there, but a lot of other things going on.

Finally last week, in the middle of writing this post, I had to take a trip to my other grandmothers funeral - it was good seeing family and getting to spend time with Mum and Dad, even if the reason for seeing them all was sad. But I'm back now, and trying hard to get back on track.

Which brings us to July. July is exciting. First there was Bargello Fun, designed by Carol Algie Higginbotham - the chapter book project I led for the Cyberpointers chapter of the American Needlepoint Guild. You may remember I was stitching it earlier in the year, but didn't feel I could share pictures until the meeting was over - well, now it is, so I can now show you the finished product.


Then we have the biannual ANZEG conference and embroidery school. This was my first time at conference and I really enjoyed myself. Nelson is a lovely town right in the center of NZ (so yes, I walked to the center and took a photo to prove I was there). I took two classes - Folded Boxes from Gary Clarke, and Peacock Splendour from Maree Talbot. Unsurprisingly neither of these is finished.

The Center of New Zealand

Folded boxes - see how the pattern is on the back and we're stitching from the back to make the pattern on the front.

Her finished casket was just stunning - I'd love to do the whole thing one day, but realistically, don't think I would as it's not my favourite type of stitching so can't see myself spending that much time on it.

And some photos from the gardens in Nelson - those textures and patterns...


Finally (I think, hopefully I haven't missed anything) is an update on Beetlewings and Bling. The best update of all too. It's finished!!!!

(one trying to show the 3D shape)

Oh - and the other project I'm looking at starting is a knitting one. I visiting Woolfest at the end of May and purchased 8 balls of the deliciously soft Bohemia Gothic wool from Outlaw Yarn, in a beautiful wine colour. It's 45% Polwarth, 45% Alpaca, and 10% Possum. I did have a pattern in mind when I purchased it, but now I'm not sure if it's the right wool for it, so I'm still browsing patterns and thinking.

Just to finish off I'll give you some photos from the bottom of the South Island - after Grandma's funeral we did a little bit of sightseeing so I'll share some of it with you.


In sorting these photos I discovered I've developed a very bad habit of putting my finger over the lens. In my defense, on the boat I was trying not to drop the phone - there would have been no retrieving it from the bottom of Milford Sound. And as always (at least in my case) the reality is so much better than the photos.

1 comment:

MysteryKnitter said...

The NZ views are awesome!