Monday, January 26, 2009

Wedding Prayer

I am now up to stitching the knot on the inside of the border. I started with part of the knot and then I thought I'd start some of the colour inside, but it turned out to be a bit confusing, so I'm going to do all the knot and then fill in the gaps like those scribbles where you draw round and round and then connect the ends and colour all the spaces.

The reason it got confusing is because this is one of the worst patterns I've stitched from. Here is a small sample blown up many times. The original is printed at 15½ stitches per inch (yes I measured), and as you can see blowing it up doesn't improve the clarity much at all.

I think I have now figured the symbols out - the biggest blob is supposed to be an asterix, and the upside down V is actually a triangle, but the base merges with the lines of the chart. The arrow and plus sign keep making me cross eyed too as they touch all sides of the square so I keep counting wrong as I keep counting from the symbol not the grid. So all in all you can see why it's driving me batty (well more batty than normal anyway).

Because of all of the above this is one of the few patterns that I highlight where I've been (others are generally the large ones taking many sheets, although I am slowly finding that I'm colouring more and more), and the highlighter on just the knotwork was actually making the pattern look better. But as soon as I started filling in the gaps with the highlighter it started going back to the previous chaos, just in green.


Sheila said...

What a terrible chart - I´d have given up by now. Good on you for persevereing! Hopefully it will get easier as you "learn" to reead it :)

MysteryKnitter said...

Terrible chart! I would have given up right away.