Saturday, September 03, 2011

Pirate Quilt

Finally - some progress. I actually started putting blocks together today.

This is a kit for a cot quilt that I picked up at the International Quilt Show last November and have been getting extra material for so I can enlarge it. After much planning and fiddling and help from the nice tutor at Jo-Ann Fabrics I started cutting blocks towards the end of the school year. During the holidays I was unable to go to the weekly sessions so the quilt sat waiting on the windowsill. I hadn't been completely happy with my choice of fabric for the centre block, but I'd been unable to find what I wanted so did the best I could - that was until I visited a friend in June and she just happened to have the perfect fabric that she was willing to pass on to me.

So this week I laid all the blocks out and decided what I'd drawn on paper didn't please the eye (the colours ended up clumped together rather than dispersed throughout) and pretty much rearranged all the small blocks. The larger ones stayed as I'd planned, and then I moved things around until it was more balanced. I had help during this process, and today I put together the first column. I have hopes I may even complete it.



3 comments:

Rachael xxx said...

Look forward to seeing this develop, love the addition to the quilt!LOL

LoriU said...

I love how kitty curled in exactly in one square! Too cute! The quilt is looking great!

MysteryKnitter said...

Awwww! What a kitty! Curled up like that! The quilt looks awesome!